Friday, January 2, 2015

My group

I wasn't going to try and use my Blog to do this, but I realized I would be doing them a disservice by not fighting for them in anyway possible. This is my high school band. I teach in a VERY rural high school, like in a cow pasture, literally. When I got there 6 years ago there was 8 kids in the entire program and now there is almost 50 from 6-12. 
We are not funded very well at all. My salary(with the lowest extra duty stipend I've ever had) and music are what is funded. Equipment, fees, & repairs are what we have to fundraiser for. I drive the bus so we don't have to pay for a driver. 
2 years ago, this little group qualified for the state contest for the first time school history. Last year we started a marching program and this past fall earned a Superior rating at the regional marching contest, which is the highest award a marching band can get from our state acticities association. Also, we've had 10 kids offered scholarships since I've been here. We have to take the students to a community college to practice on a marimba and timpani for auditions.
As you can tell, this group works hard and does the most with what they have. I've had Board members say they want the kids in uniform to look more professional but yet aren't contributing(outside of the one who is a band parent.) 
If you or anyone you know want to contribute to helping a school get what they need for a full experience quality music education, please donate or forward to someone who would.
Thanks
www.gofundme.com/hu7rdw

No comments:

Post a Comment